A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Can you run the GPU client and multicore CPU at same time?

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

Can you run the GPU client and multicore CPU at same time?

Postby kd1966 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:28 pm

So far I've noticed on my Phenom X4 system (In x64 Vista Ult) that if I'm running any CPU client, I cannot run the GPU client for my 9800GTX, but was wondering if you can run the multicore CPU client AND the GPU client at the same time?? :question
Or will it error out like the standard CPU client?
PRO PLATINUM

Re: Can you run the GPU client and multicore CPU at same time?

Postby augie » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:27 pm

kd1966 wrote:So far I've noticed on my Phenom X4 system (In x64 Vista Ult) that if I'm running any CPU client, I cannot run the GPU client for my 9800GTX, but was wondering if you can run the multicore CPU client AND the GPU client at the same time?? :question
Or will it error out like the standard CPU client?

Hmm, I never tried running both in Vista but from what I've read running multicore SMP and a GPU in the same OS reduces GPU folding by 2K PPD on an 8800GT. I'm not sure why the standard client errors out, I'm learning as I go along.:) It may be the same reason why SMP MPICH2 client can't be installed in Program files, it has to be installed in the root or C:\users\whatever.

If you're up to some VMWare and multi-core SMP Ubuntu folding, try my sparse guide here. You will have to read between the lines but you're a smart guy, I know you can do it.;) If you have 3GBs of RAM or more you can clone the VMWare and have two multicore SMPs going for an extra 1K to 2K PPD depending on which of two cores are needed for a given WU.

I use VMWare 1.08 because I was too tired and frustrated to get ver. 2.0 going. :confused Knowing that you have experience in using VMs, you can do it that way though everyone I've seen is using ver. 1.08. Maybe try the tried and true first and then dabble with 2.0 when you get comfortable. The main reason for VM *nix folding is a %20 increase in production over Vista even with the extra overhead.

Try it out after your yardwork is done. ^*^

EDIT: Be aware that MPICH2 is still beta but I haven't had any issues with it since I started *nix folding.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Return to Distributed Computing