A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Can't restore Vista Bootloader

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Can't restore Vista Bootloader

Postby eremini » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:06 pm

Hello,
I had windows XP installed on C: and windows vista on D: and had a dual boot system, with the vista bootloader being on C:. Later I formated C: and reinstalled XP on it, now I want to restore the vista bootloader, so I can boot back into vista. I downloaded VistaBootPRO and did "Reinstall Vista bootloader" but that has no effect whatsoever. it says
There is currently 0 OS(s) installed in the boot manager.
Current timeout before default boots: 0
Default OS:
And when you reboot it still uses the old boot manager. Basically nothing happenes.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:52 pm

You should add an entry for Windows Vista, pointing to the drive letter currently used by XP to designate the drive where you have Vista (probably D: , but check first in Windows Explorer)

BTW: Welcome to PROnetworks !!!
PRO VETERAN

Postby jbullard » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:09 pm

eremini,

The easiest way to fix this problem is to pop in the Vista DVD and do a System Bootloader Repair. This will reinstall the bootloader from within DOS and then fix the errors within your BCD Registry. Once you are able to boot both into Vista and XP I would go into VBP and in the top menu Run Diagnostics and clean up the BCD Registry. This will add any existing entries back into the BCD Registry so you can figure out which ones are correct. If you have any problems with this just let us know and we will be more than happy to help.

The actual bootloader sometimes fails in VBP due to not being able to write to the beginning of the HDD. However, on the flip side it is also dangerous sometimes to use the /force command with bootsect.exe. So the dilemma has always been safety of the users hardware instead of software. It is alot easier to repair the software vs hardware.

HTH,
Jason
VP - Software

Postby kd1966 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:00 pm

Booting with the Vista DVD, the option is called "Repair My Computer", wheras it used to be called Advanced Startup Repair. It is the option down in the lower left of the screen that has the HUGE Install NOW button.....lol
PRO PLATINUM

Return to PRO Software