A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Can I Use VBP To Install A 3rd OS? (Resolved)

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Can I Use VBP To Install A 3rd OS? (Resolved)

Postby markcynt » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:26 pm

I have 1 hard drive with 2 partitions. I installed XP PRO, then Vista. Everything is booting up fine. I want to create a 3rd partition and install XP PRO on that as well. Can I do that with VBP or will that cause conflicts?

Thanks
Mark
PRO Level 6

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:34 pm

You need to make a partition for the new XP installation. Then backup your BCD (boot configuration data) store using VistaBootPRO, to a location you can access later.

You will lose your boot to Vista initially when installing the second XP, but you should have a dual boot with the two XP's. Good idea to change the wording of your boot.ini entry so that you know the difference between the new OS and the existing XP installation, if you haven't already done that.

Once you have installed XP, install VistaBootPRO and then restore your BCD.

From there you should be fine, booting to all three operating systems.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby markcynt » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:42 pm

Should I backup my BCD to a floppy or just anywhere in XP where I can find it? Should I uninstall VBP before I install the 3rd OS or does it not matter?

Thanks
Mark
Velocity Micro A50
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 @ 3.3GHZ, 2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB, 2x320GB Stripe, Vista Ultimate SP1, XP Pro SP3, XP Pro SP3
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
PRO Level 6

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:13 pm

Just anywhere or a floppy is fine - may be too big for a floppy disk though. Installing VistaBootPRO after is good as long as you have it installed somewhere before so that you can create a backup of the BCD.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby markcynt » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:24 pm

OK, that wasn't too hard. Now when the computer boots I can choose from Vista or XP, then if I choose XP I go to another screen to choose which XP installation I want to use. Can I make it so that all of my options are on the same boot screen?

Thanks
Mark
Velocity Micro A50
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 @ 3.3GHZ, 2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB, 2x320GB Stripe, Vista Ultimate SP1, XP Pro SP3, XP Pro SP3
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
PRO Level 6

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:38 pm

Glad you got that going so smoothly Mark. Unfortunately there's no known way to avoid that double boot menu if one is booting with more than one "earlier" version of Windows

PROfessional Member

Postby markcynt » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:48 pm

OK. I guess I can live with that. Thanks for the reply Graham. Topic is resolved.
PRO Level 6

Return to PRO Software