A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

C++ Software

C++ Software

Postby OsirisX » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:24 am

I'm trying to learn C++ right now and do not know what softwares I should get. Thanks.
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby Weaver » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:28 am

Make sure to read the following thread.

http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19299

Whether or not you learn C++ in a Linux or Windows environment is going to affect what software you need.

No matter what, you are going to need two things. A C++ compiler and a text editor.

There are a couple C++ compilers available to Windows users and a couple available for Linux. If you are going to be learning in Linux, you probably already have one installed. g++ (part of gcc) is hard to not have on a Linux box. On a Windows machine you can use Visual Studio, you can use Borland's C++ compiler, or can use g++ through CYGWIN.

As far as editor's are concerned, don't stress yourself out with a big behemoth development environment. If you use Visual Studio, you will be forced to use one. If you want a really cool editor that I highly recommend for all Windows programming it is called TextPad, search google for it and download it. Syntax highlighting, lots of very useful programming features.

Personally, I recommend getting yourself a good book. I know I mentioned it in the thread linked above, but it is the best thing you can do for yourself.

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
PROfessional Member

Postby e_crash » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:25 pm

What's the difference between C++ and C# ??
PRO Level 5

Postby Weaver » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:15 am

]DJ Trance[ wrote:What's the difference between C++ and C# ??

C++ and C# share common syntactic styles, C# is also very similar to Java in the way it allows a programmer to handle and manipulate objects and arrays. C# is not platform independent or environment neutral in that it is part of MS's .NET framework. Personally, I'd stay away from C#, but it does have some uses to those in bed with MS.

As always, FSGS does a nice job too:

http://www.google.com/search?q=differen ... B+and+C%23
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... csharp.asp

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
PROfessional Member

Postby Jskyboo » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:51 pm

C# is also great because it uses Direct X managed to make graphical programing much easier. And between C# and Java, I highly recommend C#, because Java is extremely slow, uses more system memory, and isnt easy to compile into native code.
PRO New Member

Postby OsirisX » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:54 pm

Isn't C++ like an upgrade of c?
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby Weaver » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:57 pm

unknowndarknessx wrote:Isn't C++ like an upgrade of c?

Most would call C++ a superset of C. Most C programmers do not consider C++ an "upgrade," ask them and you could probably make a fortune if you put the responses in a book.

-Weaver
Public Keys

PROfessional Member

Postby OsirisX » Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:01 pm

LOL, I was assuming from the two names.
OsirisX

PROfessional Member

Postby glexp » Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:57 am

Weaver wrote:
unknowndarknessx wrote:Isn't C++ like an upgrade of c?

Most would call C++ a superset of C. Most C programmers do not consider C++ an "upgrade," ask them and you could probably make a fortune if you put the responses in a book.

-Weaver

Since each fortune starts with a penny, here's the start:

"C++ is a well written C program"

;)
What, me worry?

- Luck is the residue of proper planning...
PROfessional Member

Postby b4dark » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:50 am

Erm, is this supposed to be on what c++ software to use? I recommend Bloodshed Dev-C++, i use it for all my programs. U can get it at http://bloodshed.net/devcpp.html. Btw itz free :drool: .
PRO Level 3

Next

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts