My 3 1/2 year-old Toshiba Satellite A105-S2716 is about to be retired. I've already replaced the HDD (a year ago), the battery (a month ago), and now the monitor went. So we have decided it's time for a new one.
I'm looking for something around $600. I prefer Newegg but I've also been looking at TigerDirect and Radio Shack just as a starting point, as well as Google price comparisons (which is actually pretty good). When it comes time to buy I'll check Pricegrabber to be sure but right now I'm just narrowing down choices, not prices.
I have 5 main considerations:
1) Brand -- I think I'd prefer to stay with Toshiba. I've been pretty happy with them.
2) Memory -- It came with 1GB and I upgraded to 2GB (which is max). But that is definitely not enough since my photo editing software practically maxes that out. So 3GB is a minimum but 4GB seems to be a standard now so I think I'd go with 4GB.
3) Hard drive -- It came with 100GB and I upgraded to 200GB. That's actually okay since I have a couple externals and I don't keep much on it. So I don't need over 250GB I don't think.
4) CPU -- I have Intel Pentium M 1.73 GHz now. The CPU choices are AMD Turion X2, Intel Core 2 Duo, and Intel Pentium dual-core. Core 2 Duo seems the most popular.
5) Screen -- I have 15.4 Wide. I don't mind going to 16 (which seems to be more popular) but it has to be wide.
All the Toshibas in the 4GB RAM category come with Vista Home Premium 64-bit.
I guess I'm pretty sure what I want for all those except #4. That's the main thing that's changed since my last laptop-shopping and I don't know much about today's processors.
Any thoughts on AMD Turion X2 vs Intel Core 2 Duo vs Intel Pentium dual-core?