A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Buying a G5 IMAC

Buying a G5 IMAC

Postby Sisco22 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:49 pm

Hey guys,
Im buying a G5 IMac 20" from a guy this weekend. He said it was a PowerPC G5 with a 2.1ghz processor, is this a dual core, or single?
Thanks.
Adam
PRO Level 14

Re: Buying a G5 IMAC

Postby imnuts » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:54 am

Looking at the specs for the processor, it is going to most likely be a single core as they didn't have the PPC chips with dual cores on them until fairly late and I'm guessing they only went into the PowerMacs and Xserve systems and didn't make it into the iMac line.
PRO SUPREME

Postby Sisco22 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:03 am

Hmm. I was looking at the specs for Parralles and was wanting to run Windows 7 on it as well, but it doesn't look like i'll be able to do that. It requires one of the Intel chips. :(
PRO Level 14

Postby NT50 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:07 pm

If I were you, I woudl leave the PPC alone.
I still have one and it runs great but as you stated, it will not run windows.

Now I have two dual core Intels and have run windows on one of them with bootcamp. It run good but I found myself running Mac OS more than windows and took windows off.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby imnuts » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:34 pm

It depends on what you want the system to do. If you're looking for a computer for video editing or just for web/email purposes, it would be a decent system as the PPC chips are very good considering how old they are. Not sure how it would stack up against a current Core 2 Duo system for performance or an i7 chip, but they were very efficient processors. The only thing you'd have to do is make sure that you keep backups of programs as I'm guessing fewer and fewer are going to be PPC/x86 packages, especially now that Apple has gone to x86/x86-64 only and dropped PPC support.
PRO SUPREME

Return to Other Operating Systems