A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Building a Home Server

Re: Building a Home Server

Postby tWeaKmoD » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:42 pm

c0ldfyr3 wrote:i prefer the use of a raid 0/1 of two high velocity drives for OS, and separate RAID 1/5 drives for storage/backup.
so if something does happen to the OS ( Microsoft updates have killed my OS in the past, due to hardware incompatibilities. ) and you have to Format and reinstall of even reclone you dont have to worry about your data getting lost in the process.

That's what I have always done with my desktop computers and thus why I was thinking about doing it for the server as well.
PROfessional Member

Re: Building a Home Server

Postby mnemonicj » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:25 am

When I finally bought a server in 2005, I hunted around for a good hardware RAID card. I found a good card, but sadly I can't use it anymore because it is an IDE card that fits in a PCI slot, none of which are accessible for a card this long in my current server. The card worked great with a RAID 5, but now I don't think I would be using a RAID 5 unless I could get another card that did a hardware RAID.

If you are really into computers and tech, you may not be able to stop tinkering with your server and spending extra money on upgrades when you can.

My current home server setup:
Intel 2.53 GHz Quad Core Xeon with Hyperthreading
8 GB ECC DDR3 1333 MHz memory
Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise (Domain, DNS, DHCP, file, print, FTP, web, etc)
2 - 500GB SATA drives in a RAID1 (OS, Virus and Update files, etc)
4 - 500GB SATA drives in a RAID10 (backed up data)
2 - 320GB IDE drives in a RAID1 (DVDs to stream to my HTPC)

Even with as much storage as I have, I need to upgrade. Since my motherboard only has 6 SATA ports, I need a SATA RAID card, so I am thinking of getting an 8 port RAID card, 2 - 1TB SATA drives in a RAID1 for my DVD movies, my 6 500GB SATA drives in a RAID10 for backed up d