A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Bring to the table...

Bring to the table...

Postby Weaver » Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:47 pm

Now that this section is up and running, I think it would be a great time for those who are brave enough to go ahead and post what they can bring to the table. What languages are you familiar with? How much programming/scripting experience do you have? Have you taken classes or are you a self-taught programmer? Favorite languages? Languages that scare you to death? I am curious to see the depth available here at pronetworks.

I guess I'll start first. I did absolutely no programming in high-school. In fact, I wasn't even a "computer guy" for the majority of high-school... I was a jock... Imagine that. My senior year I started to show a strange affinity toward the computer. I wouldn't get off of it. I was very intrigued yet still very much a novice. I was fascinated by the command line, which I believe is where my curiosity of programming began. I was always kind of upset that it didn't take much to use windows, everyone (almost) can point and click if they know where to go. But not everyone can use the command line and chain together commands to accomplish tasks.

I remember the first command I learned ( at about age 13) was "dir" like everyone else. Then I learned "dir /p". I can remember the first time I saw my stepfather type in "mem /c | more". Since the mem command didn't have a /p or anything you had to pipe it to more. I used that left and right. I had no idea what it did nor did I understand the concept of a pipe. That didn't matter, I was having fun. I could maneuver around the DOS command line, move and copy files etc. The one cool thing I could do was zip files from a command line using PKWare. Does anyone remember PKZip and PKUnzip? I'll be honest, it was to hide my "naughty" pictures when I was 14. I would zip them all up and password protect them, all from a command line. May not be appropriate but it was sure a rush.

I stayed at about that level of familiarity until my senior year when I started learning more about networks and started gaming. Then my first semester of college I took an Introductory C++ class and everything just fell into place. At that same time I was hired as an Entry-Level Technician and I still work there to this day. I was very fascinated by C++, but needed more. The following year I started with Java. I started an Assembly class but had to drop it, I kept up with Assembly by reading the book that I had purchased. For this reason, my assembly is still quite weak, limited to a first semester assembly class.

All the while I had been learning more and more outside of school at my job. Learning Linux was huge. Learning Unix style Linux would be a better phrase. Not RedHat, not Mandrake. Slackware. Command line Linux. With that came Bash Scripting and learning to program C++ (not C, not using C is very odd for a Linux programmer) and Java with Vim (Editor) and compile from a command line. I started using PHP + MySQL about a year ago and just recently purchased the SQL for Dummies book. PHP is fun, but without database support you are severely limited. I have done minimal ASP scripting. My buddy really enjoys it, but I have problems with anything pioneered by Microsoft with a single exception: DHCP.

I didn't mean to ramble on this long, but it's fun walking down memory lane. I urge other to do the same. So I guess to sum up my experience. I would consider myself familiar with

C++
Java
PHP
Bash Scripting

and am very eager to learn more about

Assembly
PHP + MySQL

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
PROfessional Member

Postby djdabaer » Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:20 pm

Well Weaver, I would be much happier listing what I know as far as hardware and networking, But I guess that wouldnt be appropriate for this new section. :lalala

Newho, I seem to have the same sortof experiences as you did, around the same age. The PKZIP days. Man was that quality software. Guess they dont make command line dos programs like they used to. Image

Now on a serious note. What I bring to the table:

I have rencently finished off my degree from a technical school, and I am working at a Web Design Firm. I do all sorts of tasks, from monitoring Web Trends to Network trouble shooting to (Gasp) Programming. And I have learned lots along the way. We do alot with ASP and we have a very talented SQL programmer on staff here. I have also done work with Javascripting, minor C++, minor VB, some dhtml, and various other useless crap like ActiveX controls and crap.

I definitely need to learn PHP... so someone help. :)

-Jeremy
PROfessional Member

Postby Weaver » Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:21 pm

By all means, what is your hardware and networking experience? Familiar with the underlying aspects of ATM, ethernet, IP, routing?

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
PROfessional Member

Postby djdabaer » Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:38 pm

I wouldnt go as far as bragging that I am Familiar, but I do have knowledge of ATMs. I am familiar with most networking aspects. I am currently working in an enviornment where knowledge of ethernets, IPs, and routing is a MUST.

I am currently working on the MCSE. I do alot of work with Server 2000 troubleshooting. And I am the man they come to here when there is some sort of network problems. I do some Cisco troubleshooting. Basically, you name it, I have some, even just a little sometimes, knowledge of it.

-Jeremy
PROfessional Member

Postby Nolez » Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:50 pm

I am somewhat familiar with most networking aspects as everything was touched during my IT classes. Basically had to teach myself, the profs were horrible.

Currently studying/working on my CNA and then going to MCSE from there.
PROfessional Member

Postby Mac33 » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:21 pm

I must say i have found all of your comments very interesting here. At my age everything i know on computers was first started when i took my second degree at university, and for the first time most of my course work had to be done on the computer. Although one of my subjects was IT, i had to very quickly learn how to 'use' computers. Since then most of my knowledge is self tutoring, and there are so many other things i would like to teach myself. I am very interested in what you all have to offer, and i look forward to learning something from you all... :yesnod:
PROfessional Member

My Experience

Postby chuckx » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:59 am

I'm competent with PHP, Perl and Bash. I use the first two for web development and the latter two for systems administration and data processing.

I've taken classes on C++ and Java, but don't use either on a regular basis.

I'm teaching myself C programming, mostly because it's the de facto language in the Unix/Linux world (which is where most of my computing is done). Even though others try to stay away from lower level languages like C, I'm enjoying it. Manual memory management keeps you on your toes.

Outside of the programming world, I've got a good grasp of a myriad of networking technologies. For a living, I provide support for commercial ISP services, and networking know how is a prerequisite.

I know the ins and outs of the PC hardware platform. Now that I think about it, I've never actually bought a prebuilt PC (my laptop being the sole exception). Also, I have recently become acquainted with Sun hardware.

I do this stuff at work, at school and at home (yeah, I'm a geek).

--
chuckx
PRO New Member

Re: My Experience

Postby djdabaer » Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:27 am

chuckx wrote:I do this stuff at work, at school and at home (yeah, I'm a geek).

--
chuckx

They didnt tell you. We are all geeks in our own ways. It seems that you know your stuff, similar interests as myself, but lots more advanced on the programming end. I am sure you have a lot to offer everyone, and I look forward to hearing more from you.
PROfessional Member

Postby branbo » Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:18 pm

you all are light years ahead of me, as an avionics tech (aircraft electronics) i've done some manchester scripting (GPS sys code) and TDY 43 (teledyne nav comp code), and buss protocal like nema (iso gps) in school (70's) we programed in binary, octial & hex, c++ whats that ha ha, we also studied the registors in a cpu, how they load, compile and output control, address and data, used sun & apple (go finder ha ha) sys for over 20 yrs, my current sys has an amd xp 1700, its my first leap into the wintel world (2 yrs ago),
i think this thread is great, looking forward to learning from the masters here.
PROfessional Member

Postby djdabaer » Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:23 pm

If you are looking for a master, dont look towards me. I am far from it. :) I can make a network work, and a PC, but I am still getting me butt pounding by all this scripting I am learning...

Hope we all can learn together.
PROfessional Member

Next

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts