A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

BootloadPro newbie advice

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

BootloadPro newbie advice

Postby pippin » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:52 pm

Appreciate advice please (nervous newbie with dual boot)

Dual boot XP Pro 'C' Vista 'E' only boot into XP to update Windows computer used specifically for Vista.
I haven't installed to tool as yet just reading the best OS to install it on.
I have a conflict with UAC and my AV on boot my AV wants access to C (denied by UAC) I have UAC disabled everything boots without error.

Advice given was to hide C with a boot manager as this resolved issues with volsnap.sys for others. Is it possible to do this using Bootpro tool?
Apart from this bug before RC1 is released when I will have to uninstall Vista for a fresh install would I be best to learn how to use the tool in order to ease the uninstall/install?

Thanks for any advice (apologies for very basic questions)
(I left this question a bit late if I don't reply tonight I will be back online tomorrow)
PRO New Member

Postby gries818 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:19 pm

So you've already installed Vista (UAC conflict?)?

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Postby pippin » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Yes, Vista installed and ruuning for a few weeks now.

I disabled UAC after letting it ask me all the time but then decided to try with it on again. AVG installed last week but cannot boot without error if I have UAC enabled even when checking I have full Admin for AVG - it is on boot AVG wants to look on C (installed for XP) and UAC denies access.
Advice was to hide C from the boot process :unsure:

Boot without UAC everything fine. I don't have BootPro installed on either side although I will install when I boot into XP at some stage :embarrassed:
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:16 pm

VistaBootPRO can be installed on either or both OS's (XP/Vista) and you can make changes in VBPro from either OS.
Could you tell us how you installed Vista (Boot from DVD or running setup from XP)? Also, you are having problems with AVG antivirus? Is this on XP or Vista? I know that AVG like to run a bootscan of some system files on restarts (At least with XP and Win9x)
If you're running AVG on Vista, possibly you could turn off this bootscan feature

Also, how did you disable/turn off your UAC/UAP?
PRO PLATINUM

Postby pippin » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:27 pm

thank you for your further help.

I have just installed BootPro on my Vista drive but haven't done anything or re-boooted.

I installed Vista by booting into XP ran the DVD from XP and proceeded from there to install Vista on my new 2nd HD (E) after install I re-booted to the screen earlier version of Windows or Microsoft Windows.
I have just booted each day and selected my Vista drive.

I had thought about the AVG on boot scan & will boot into my XP side to configure this plus check what the Vista side is trying to scan as I know some options were not avaible for me to edit in Vista.
I will have to configure this on XP as I don't have a boot scan enabled on Vista install (just checked this)

I disabled UAC/UAP via user Accounts - Change security settings Removed the check mark from there. Defender reminds me about this each time.

I haven't modified anything with Bootloader would it be ok to re-boot as I noted my Vista install was shown to be C under manage entries. I don't want to reboot until I am sure this is correct :embarrassed:

Will I still see XP to select when I boot?
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:09 pm

Most times when you are booted to Vista, it will see itself as the C: drive, so if you want to make any changes with VistaBootPRO, DO NOT CHANGE ANY DRIVE LETTER ASSIGNMENTS!!! You can change descriptions, in fact, you probably have a "Older legacy operating system" or something like that in your boot menu, which is XP, so yes, you should be able to restart and select either "Microsoft Windows" (This should be Vista) or the "legacy" entries.

EDIT: If you go to XP and run VBPro, you will see that XP will be back to C:
What happens is Vista just re-letters the drives to how it wants to view them, but no physical movement has occurred.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby pippin » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:03 pm

Thanks for this I was unsure when I looked and didn't want to end up with error on boot.
Definitely will not assign any drive letters I just hoped to keep the tool there to help when I have to format to install RC1 - hoped to learn more about this before the time arrived.
If I leave Bootpro at default as loaded & booted from cold tomorrow would this just boot as normal without any major changes apart from the option to use the tool if I wish to cosmetically? (backed up my settings)

I checked my AVG settings unfortunately it doesn't cope with this situation.
I will reconsider the AV install and choose another as AVG is looking for C:\AVG7QT.DAT
My install on XP needed the virus database updated - my install on Vista updates to E but does not have a file equating to AVGQT on E. I am sure this is with the install both sides, I can cope without UAC at the moment but may have to reconsider AVG as even on scan I can't configure either install to only scan C or E - I had access to all configs prior to the second install.

I realise this question is more about learning to work with the BootPro tool - hopefully I will learn and find it useful to work with my setup - thanks for your help.
PRO New Member

Return to PRO Software