A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

booting Windows Vista & windows server 2003

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

booting Windows Vista & windows server 2003

Postby edwinberghuis » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:32 am

Hello Everybody, I'm new here and i have a question.

The problem is as follows. Yesterday i've installad windows vista on mij hard drive with 2 partitions.
The setup before installing on a 80gb ide:

partition 1, C: windows XP professional
partition 2, D: Windows server 2003

After the install of Windows Vista is as known the boot.ini disappeared and overwritten by bcdedit.exe. Next i tried to boot it with VistabootPro 3.1 and made a new entry for a legacy OS, and named it Windows Server 2003
Then when I'm trying to restart I get te error file: /ntldr the file is missing or corrupt. This error message is the same as windows XP gives when you trie to boot after installing Vista.
Ok, was just fine and installed ntldr on partition d: and tried to point the legacy os on D: to C:.
Next tried to reboot the system and starting up windows server 2003 and when i select Server 2003 the monitor turns black and boots again to POST , and again and again... :x

I hope someone has a solution. greets
Bezig op te leiden tot MCSA/E
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:30 am

Hi edwinberghuis and welcome to PROnetworks. It sounds like you did an upgrade install of Vista over your XP installation and this would account for the boot.ini disappearing.

You can try to copy the following files to the Vista installation drive which seems to me to be the system drive/partition. You'll find them all on your Server 2003 install CD except for the boot.ini:

ntldr
NTDETECT.COM
boot.ini

You will probably have to write a fresh boot.ini file using a notepad txt file and then just save it to the system drive/partition (your Vista installation drive) as boot.ini once you have made sure the data is pointing to the correct installation.

Upgrade installations are generally messy and we don't recommend them as many folk experience problems with drivers and applications after an upgrade install.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Boot Viast & Windows Server 2003

Postby edwinberghuis » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:02 am

Thanks for the very fast reply,

I appreciate that. What i did was a fresh install of Vista. What i have to say is that i didn't delete the existing Xp installation and i let the server 2003 partition intact.
I just have tried to place the files that you've said in the root of the partition. Boots everytime to POST. I've also made a new boot.ini. I will trie another time and trie some other things. I've read this problem also on another topic with the problem XP/Vista, but there no solution.

Greetz Edwin berghuis
PRO New Member

Boot Windows Vista & Server 2003

Postby edwinberghuis » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:51 pm

Is there someone who exactly know what else i could do to solve my problem???

Greets Edwin
PRO New Member

Return to PRO Software