A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Boot x64 and 32 bit Vista as well as 32 bit XP Pro with VistaBootPro (Complete)

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Boot x64 and 32 bit Vista as well as 32 bit XP Pro with VistaBootPro (Complete)

Postby praack » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:05 pm

Hi there- bit cautious so I have not just jumped in and given it a whirl , but though I have seen multiple OS/s in the screenshots of vista boot pro I have not read anything in the forum;s about people setting up a config like this. any tips? because eventually there may be a server lurking in the background too

oh yes - hardware details

XP pro and 32 bit vista in 2 partitions currently on one drive
want x64 vista on a separate drive
will probably put the server eval on a separate drive as well

thanks and have a great day

paul
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:45 pm

Hi praack and welcome to PROnetworks. There are few things to bear in mind and to carry out to ensure you have those operating systems running well together and all appearing on the boot menu.

I'd suggest you connect your new hard drive and then boot to XP and format it and partition it from Windows XP. A reboot or two doesn't hurt to ensure that your system drive has remained the same.

Then with all drives attached, install Vista X64 and setup will create a new boot menu during installation.

You do not need to use VistaBootPRO during the process at all. It is only to make some minor changes like changing the names that appear on your boot menu, changing the order in which they appear and renaming them that you will need to use the application. It is advisable to create a backup of your BCD with VistaBootPRO once you have your operating systems all installed, before making any changes. The other functions of VistaBootPRO are really there to fix problems and should not be used otherwise.

Once you install Longhorn Server the same process can be followed. I've had XP Pro (X86 and X64), Vista (X86 and X64) and Longhorn Server X86 all running quite happily together

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby praack » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:59 pm

Thanks, worked perfect with x64 - now the evaulation starts. Longhorne comes in a couple of weeks.

very good product makes the process of keeping the os selection easy - many thanks
PRO New Member

Postby fireman604 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:22 am

I am running xp pro mirrored raid xp 64 mirrored raid vista ultimate on single drive not problems there, xp pro is rock solid xp 64 solid but no scanner drivers, or acrobat printers pdf doesn't work, vista crashes at will, i think it is video drivers but because of crashing staying with xp 32 to do anything. vista is also missing scanner drivers, Microtek says no 64 bit drivers, Nikon says they are working on it same answer for last 2 years. have fun with the tri boot. You will end up staying in the one that works but have at it.
Tyan 2885, dual opteron 244 4 gigs corsair 3200 memory 8 37 gig raptors NX7600GS video card, tri boot (xp pro 32 , xp 64 bit raid(not striped)) highpoint 1820 raid controller pci x 64 bit, vista ultimate 64 bit single drive 750 watt power supply

Athlon xp 3000+ Geforce 5900 1 gig ram striped raid hard drives windows xp pro
PRO Level 2

Return to PRO Software