A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Boot up from external hard drive

Boot up from external hard drive

Postby zman6695 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:07 pm

I am building a simple gaming computer, not the high end crazy stuff that could hack into the pentagon. I want to get an external hard drive and make a back-up of my current pc. I was wondering if it was possible to boot-up the new computer from the back-up. It's an acer(current pc), it's an aspire.
So can i get a little help?
PRO New Member

Re: Boot up form external hard drive

Postby imnuts » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:23 pm

It would be possible to do, though probably not that easy, especially if it's Windows you're trying to start. The other thing to think about is that the performance of an external drive would be no where near that of an internal drive as far as read/write/seek times are concerned.
PRO SUPREME

Re: Boot up form external hard drive

Postby yeshuas » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:48 pm

zman6695 wrote:I am building a simple gaming computer, not the high end crazy stuff that could hack into the pentagon. I want to get an external hard drive and make a back-up of my current pc. I was wondering if it was possible to boot-up the new computer from the back-up. It's an acer(current pc), it's an aspire.
So can i get a little help?

The only way this will work is if the motherboards in the two computers are the same, and I am assuming that you are talking about making the backup and then removing the drive and placing the back up harddrive in the new computer from the external enclosure. But like I said the two motherboards have to be the same or at least really really close to the same, like the same chipset etc. and then there is no quarantee that it will work
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Return to General Tech Chat