A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Blue Screen When Installing XP

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Blue Screen When Installing XP

Postby bulbs8 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:39 am

I am trying to remove vista from my machine entirely...

I have a new HP that came pre-installed with Vista Home Premium and I have a Windows XP Pro Upgrade Disk.

1. I tried just booting the disk at startup, but after preparing the setup files for the XP install, windows "Blue Screens" and I am back at square one.

2. I followed instructions to create a dual-boot environment, with the intent to remove the vista partition after XP was running successfully, but ran into the same "Blue Screen" problem.

I am totally stuck, and would greatly appreciate any help! Thanks!!
PRO New Member

Postby blodger14 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:14 pm

well, if its an upgrade kit you need to have windows 2000 installed and then use your update disk.

As vista was made after xp you cant use an upgrade disk to install xp from it.

But i don't think it would bluescreen if you tried, so im not definately sure.
PRO Level 7

Postby Nativedude » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:58 pm

No it usually doesn't blue screen, just tells you that you need a previous version of windows installed is all

Do you know what error it gives you on the BSOD
PRO Level 15

Postby Herethos » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:11 pm

The bluscreens could due to the controller drivers being installed with windows, your bios is most likely set to something else other than ATA for example AHCI if its set to AHCI in the bios windows XP will bluescreen during the install process, or if its installed without the proper drivers it will bluescreen if you for example exit xp reboot enter bios and set transfer mode to AHCI, next time during xp boot process it will bluscreen.

To get by this you need the driver diskette for the SATA controller during the windows xp (OS) installation you should press F6 to install scsi drivers or whatever it says. Keep the diskette inserted during the process and wait for it to await your input. Then it will probably say something like couldn't identify devices press S to select from list here you should choose the one that matcher your controller. And continue keeping the disk in the drive cause it will install from it.

More info here: en wikipedia org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_Interface

Insert . where it should be, couldn't post urls due to some restriction...

Or if you don't want to do this process simply make the change in the bios and set it to standard IDE or ATA.
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:58 pm

do you have SAT-A drives and are you hitting the F6 key to install the raid driver
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Return to PRO Software