A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Blu-ray - when to buy

Blu-ray - when to buy

Postby kanaloa » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:35 pm

I've recently been considering purchasing a Blu-ray player, but I'll admit I don't know much about them and I don't trust the sales kid at the local store. I've done a little research and have a few questions.

1.) The cost has dropped astronomically in the last year (especially since Blu-ray 'won' over HD-DVD). Right now most players go for $299-$599+ - but will they drop even more by Christmas 2009?
2.) I've heard something about formats possibly changing in Blu-ray, and that if that happens, older Blu-ray players actually wouldn't support any new Blu-ray disc format. Is this true?
3.) I've seen only stand-alone players, no full surround sound systems with blu-ray built in. This makes me think the technology is still very much evolving.

Other than that, any additional tips or advice I need to know? Any regrets from those of you who have purchased one?

Thanks ^*^
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Re: Blu-ray - when to buy

Postby yeshuas » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:20 pm

kanaloa wrote:I've recently been considering purchasing a Blu-ray player, but I'll admit I don't know much about them and I don't trust the sales kid at the local store. I've done a little research and have a few questions.

1.) The cost has dropped astronomically in the last year (especially since Blu-ray 'won' over HD-DVD). Right now most players go for $299-$599+ - but will they drop even more by Christmas 2009?
2.) I've heard something about formats possibly changing in Blu-ray, and that if that happens, older Blu-ray players actually wouldn't support any new Blu-ray disc format. Is this true?
3.) I've seen only stand-alone players, no full surround sound systems with blu-ray built in. This makes me think the technology is still very much evolving.

Other than that, any additional tips or advice I need to know? Any regrets from those of you who have purchased one?

Thanks ^*^

1)Not sure about how much more they will drop in price, but I am sure they will.

2)Make sure the one you buy has the ability to connect to the internet or has a place to insert a memory stick so you can upgrade the firmware. My son bought a PS3 so we have a blue ray player that way.

3)I have a Sony surround system that I have had for a couple years, so I run what I need through it, it is lacking in connection and I can only have two external things connected at a time, but it works for me, for now at least.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby kd1966 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:48 pm

I am hesitant on the BluRay thing; my reasons?
Sony still to this day has not gotten over their BetaMax flub; they want to OWN this standard (Which is main reason why the BETTER standard - HD - got kicked to the curb)
Still don't trust Sony after the rootkit thing with CD's- who knows what they will resort to with BluRay............

What I DO expect in the future: Sony will, after a great length of time and poor BR sales, incorporate the HD standard (Or their own version of it) into BR players, of course, only after Sony owns it and you'll have to pay even more for the multi-standard player.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a Sony employee..... :lol: nor am I an employee of a comptetitor of Sony. I also DO own some Sony equipment; stereo entertainment and I think a CD/DVD player
PRO PLATINUM

Postby yeshuas » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:54 pm

I am not a Sony employee either, LOL

But I do know they have blue ray surround sound systems, a bit pricey for me, but it is wireless speakers, they start at around $1000
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby kanaloa » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:32 pm

Thanks guys, so I guess the verdict is to just wait a while longer - see what happens.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby yeshuas » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:52 pm

Like I said, we would not have Blu-ray except for my son having bought the Playstation 3. We see a difference, in the movies, but it is only a slight imovement since our LCD isn't 1080i
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby kanaloa » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:10 am

yeshuas wrote:Like I said, we would not have Blu-ray except for my son having bought the Playstation 3. We see a difference, in the movies, but it is only a slight imovement since our LCD isn't 1080i

Yeah we had a 780p TV, but now that we've got the 1080p, I'm itching to try it out. I don't think any TV is in 1080p, and most that are in HD aren't even 1080i (except maybe the Discovery HD) channel. Most local HD channels are lower quality bc they squeeze their digital channel on the same 'pipe.'
President

Postby jbullard » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:31 am

I have a Sony Blu-ray BDP-S300 and haven't had any issues with it. I got it for $299.99 last year and they are still the same price. If a BD doesn't play, I go to the website, download the firmware and then upload it to the player and voila, everything works. I highly doubt BD-ROM's will come down in price. The reason, basically it is about that time for a price spike in movies. We saaw it going from Beta to VHS, and then from VHS to DVD. So I don't think those prices will drop. Also, I don't think prices will fall too much lower for the players. You might be looking at a $50 price drop by the end of the year but I think it will just be getting rid of the previous generation.

If you are looking at BD with a full theatre system you are talking about a lot of cash. A normal DVD with surround sound is going to run you $500 (for a decent one). If you add the BD in the mix you are talking close to $1000. I would suggest going with a separate surround sound with a DVD UpConvert in it that utilizes 7.1 and not 5.1. :yesnod:
VP - Software

Postby kanaloa » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:37 am

Thanks, I may go take a look and try and stick with the Sony players then - knowing they DEF will support it and/or provide the updates I need along the way.

We have a full theater system now we purchased a few years ago, but I'd have to bring the BD in as an "Aux" like I do the TV (etc). I may need to consider getting a true sound system that isn't tied to a disc player or anything. That way I could bring all my devices into that - I really want one with wireless speakers too.

But one thing at a time, I can just bring in the BD in on the current for now - wife probably isn't going want me dropping a small fortune on this.
President

Postby kanaloa » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:39 am

This looks like a decent model: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 6423953707

This is the next one up, better sound I think. Prob not worth the extra $100: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8014505567

Update: I like LG's brand the best though: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8010175527
President

Next

Return to General Tech Chat