A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

BitLocker and the Page File

BitLocker and the Page File

Postby Stukindaguy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:55 am

Hello everybody! Long time no post! Although I still creep the forums frequently and read the news pages haha.

I currently am using Windows 8 Pro and have enabled Bitlocker on my drives. My problem is that the page file is not on the OS volume, it is on a separate drive for performance reasons. The problem is that since it is encrypted, Windows cannot access the page file, and instead is automatically creating one on the OS drive. I have the page file drive to automatically unlock but I guess that doesn't happen until later in the boot.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I am willing to try anything to get this setup to work...I don't care if it involves manually editing system files, or anything else...I just don't know where to start.

I've looked in the GPO, some bitlocker related reg entries, and searched online, but cannot find a solution...although nor have I found anybody saying it couldn't be done, so I am hopeful.

Thank you all in advance!
-Stu

Asus P5Q Deluxe
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Sapphire Radeon HD 4870
6GB Corsair Dominator 1066MHz DDR2
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
PRO Level 12

Re: BitLocker and the Page File

Postby Stukindaguy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:17 am

So because of the lack of response, I figure I'll list the things I have tried that did NOT work. Haha

1. Automatically unlocking the drive
2. Attempting a diagnostic startup to test for issues with software (Situation identical regardless)
3. This same question posted to both MSDN and Technet (Got a response on technet, but with no resolution)
4. Microsoft phone support (I have a technician calling me back tomorrow, who is not a level 1 tech, so I am hopeful)

Is this seriously only a situation that faces me? I can only find one other instance of it on all of the interwebz and it was left unanswered as well.

You guys are the best though, and I have faith in you.

Thanks! :)
-Stu

Asus P5Q Deluxe
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Sapphire Radeon HD 4870
6GB Corsair Dominator 1066MHz DDR2
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
PRO Level 12

Return to General Windows Support