A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Are these decent specs?

Postby kanaloa » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:41 am

NT50 wrote:Have you ever built one John?

Yeah I used to buy a lot of bare bone systems, but I just don't have the time to worry with assembling it all right now.

I'm going to give the Dell a shot and if it's not what I need I'll probably let Tash have that one and get something better. Thanks for the other links, I'll bookmark this thread so I have those.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby imnuts » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:55 am

Dell usually doesn't have many issues with their desktops as far as I know. I know several people that have them, myself included and I really haven't had any major issues with it as far as reliability is concerned, nor have I heard of anyone else I know that has a Dell desktop have major reliability issues. Laptops are a different story entirely though and I would avoid them at all costs. Overall, it seems like a decent system you configured.
PRO SUPREME

Postby yeshuas » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:15 am

We still have a dell dimension PIII 900 MHz that my wife bought right before we got married, ain't the fastest but it still clunks away for the grandkids when they come to visit, not bad for a 8 year old puter.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby shreader » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:42 pm

yeshuas wrote:We still have a dell dimension PIII 900 MHz that my wife bought right before we got married, ain't the fastest but it still clunks away for the grandkids when they come to visit, not bad for a 8 year old puter.

Same here,
my work bought 2 Dell 4100's (1 Ghz) & I got 1 of them in 5/2001,
The HDD was failing last year so they gave me the old Dell (PowerSdge) Server w/ a new XP installed & said dump the 4100, so I took it home & put in 2- new WD HDD's & am using it as my WHS rig.
It works fine & is quiet ^*^
Software Director

Postby Absolute-Zero » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:48 pm

We've got a ton of Dell Servers here at work, some of them are seriously ancient pieces of kit (+6 years old) but they're all still running happily. To date we've had to replace one hard drive and one optical drive.

Dell tends to get a bad name because they use cheaper quality components than those you can get if you self-build and because they load machines down with so much unnecessary crap that they crawl before you've even started using them.

As imnuts said, though, I'd avoid them when it comes to laptops!
PROfessional Member

Postby yeshuas » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:59 pm

Even their XPS series laptops? I thought they were of another breed.
I know that any of their XPS branded stuff is sure a lot higher in price, and I can blow Dell out of the water and build a lot better system for the money.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby imnuts » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:29 pm

yeshuas wrote:Even their XPS series laptops? I thought they were of another breed.

There XPS branded stuff is likely more or less half Alienware, which didn't exactly have the most reliable laptops either, though their issue was mostly heat related. They are probably their "best" laptop that they make, but I still would look for another brand.
PRO SUPREME

Postby kanaloa » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:37 pm

Thanks guys, that makes me feel better. I really did like the low end PC my parents got, so I figured customizing mine with higher end stuff would make it even better. My work PC was much higher up the latter (or at least it was when purchased) - but it's a great PC too. I had a Dell at my last job also, one of the compact ones that sat upright (we had them at USC too).

Will post back on my thoughts once I can play around with it. Still trying to decide if I am going to set it up to dual boot with XP or not. If only I could find a program that made that easier. Oh... wait a minute :whistle j/k

Thanks again
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby yeshuas » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:46 pm

kanaloa wrote:Will post back on my thoughts once I can play around with it. Still trying to decide if I am going to set it up to dual boot with XP or not. If only I could find a program that made that easier. Oh... wait a minute :whistle j/k

Thanks again

Here is a link to a guide to do just what you want there noobie http://www.pronetworks.org/index.php/gu ... ows_vista/

LOL
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby _Taz_ » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:24 pm

once you get that new dell

http://www.yorkspace.com/pc-de-crapifier/

the original name was Dell Decrapifier, but for some unknown reason they changed it..

I haven't used it in a while so I don't know how current it is. basically just an automated install script of all the trail software, helpers, and other crap they got loading on boot.
PRO Level 13

PreviousNext

Return to General Tech Chat