A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Anyone tried Vixta?

Postby jbullard » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:09 am

Not sure. Even if you don't you can still use it from the ISO image. It actually boots into Vixta Desktop and then from there you an choose to install. It doesn't actually have to be your primary OS. I was thinking about putting it on a thumb drive and seeing how well that worked.

I am not sure why or how that would be useful but I am sure there is a reason some where. :lol:

It is built off of Fedora Core 8 and I don't know it supports SCSI drives or not.
VP - Software

Postby augie » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:50 am

Grav!ty wrote:
augie wrote:I guess that's a normal *nix install Graham?

Probably Algis, but I don't get any flavor of linux installed on my hard drives for some reason. Maybe it's because they're SCSI drives with an SATA interface. I've got a couple of old 80 GB IDE drives lying around so I guess I should try one of them sometime.

OK no SCSI's here, I'll give it a shot Graham as some folk are excited about this. :yesnod:
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby augie » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:16 am

Got it going, at least off the LiveCD. Looks very nice indeed! I love the screen capture tool, and really haven't tried much else yet. It needs some polishing still as my audio drivers kept wanting to install after they were, but no big deal eh? Wonked my LCD too a bit but again no big deal.

One significant thing I did notice after making a couple of coasters was to burn at the slowest rate, in my case with Nero was 8X. I'll be installing this on the HDD whenever I get up today. Here's some eye candy:

BTW, notice the smirking polar bear in the screenie or have I been up too long? :lol:
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:14 pm

Very nice augie ^*^ What's that bear been smirking? :lol:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby jbullard » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:54 am

Well looks like they have a long way to come. It is a nice version but really stinks when it comes time to updating packages. The entire system is built off of Fedora Core 8 which is not bad. However, when I ran a system update it obviously downloaded FC8 updates like it is suppose to.

This ended up changing the boot screen and the entire way the system was booted. Once you logged in that is when Vixta took back over. Not sure if it is suppose to do that or not but the nice boot screen and everything is gone after updating.

Since it is in beta I would actually suggest to them building their own version and own kernel. This way when updates are performed it doesn't overwrite their work. :yesnod:
VP - Software

Postby Hybrid SyntaX » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:51 pm

wow it's somehow more beautiful than vista itself!
PRO Level 2

Previous

Return to Other Operating Systems