A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Anyone interested in a Linux Account...? (It's free...)

Anyone interested in a Linux Account...? (It's free...)

Postby Weaver » Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:26 pm

This is a cross-post (something that should never be done) to both the Scripts and Programming and Linux sections.

To anyone interested in obtaining a Linux account. I am offering the opportunity for anyone to learn/use Linux free of charge (as always) on a Linux box of my choosing (most likely weaver.dwave.net). We cover a lot of topics around here dealing with Linux and scripting. I only think it can better our understanding of both of these key areas if Linux is available to anyone. Not everybody can setup a working Linux machine, so if you are interested or have any questions please PM me.

There are plenty of services available to you. For one you will be able to play around and experiment with Linux with a person you know and trust (Me, of course). You will have a working email address that you can send and receive mail from using either a POP3 client or if you want to really feel Linux you can use clients like Pine right from the command line.

I will setup FTP access if need be (I have FTP disabled as of now for security reasons). I am running the classic Apache-PHP-MySQL combo for anyone interested in learning PHP or MySQL. You can learn how to program on a command line and much more.

Now many of these features may be above or below your current level of understanding, but the bottom line is they are available to you... free of charge. You can always ask me questions if you run into trouble. If you are interested please PM me and we will work from there.

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
PROfessional Member

Postby Weaver » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:24 pm

Received the first request for an account. Don't be bashful, PM me if you are ineterested in Linux and want to learn.

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
PROfessional Member

Postby Weaver » Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:22 pm

I have had quite a few questions in the past hours asking for more details on this offer. Well as always, purchase is not necessary.

I am offering a chance for those who are interested of course... A chance have what is called a shell account on a Linux box of mine. This will be Linux in its true form. There will be no graphics, it is strictly console driven. Now do not let that turn you off. This will give you a chance to learn what makes Linux different from Windows.

You will also be able to take full advantage of all of the services that a Linux box can offer. The box is a completely functional mail server, you can send and receive mail in a variety of ways. It is also a fully functional web server running the Apache Webserver with PHP and MySQL support. So anyone interested in learning PHP or MySQL this is the perfect opportunity.

I also have a C/C++, Java, and Assembly compilers/assemblers so you can learn programming on the Linux platform.

Like said earlier, even if none of this stuff appeals to you there is plenty available in terms of just gaining a familiarity with the environment. We do a lot of discussion of Linux on this site, it will now be possible for those interested to experiment on their own with a "Linux Guru"... yeah right. I am by no means a seasoned veteran (I am only 20, nearly 21...Hell I can't even drink yet... Legally) but I should be able to answer any questions you have.

PM or Email me if you are interested or have questions, all I will need from you is a username and a temporary password (you can change it later). I will setup the account immediately and either PM you or email you. It is at this time that we can discuss methods for gaining access to the machine. Methods such as telnet, SSH, FTP, SCP, etc. Don't worry if you are not familiar with these, that is what I am here for.

Hopefully this answers a lot of questions.

-Weaver
Public Keys

PROfessional Member

Postby djdabaer » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:01 pm

Now I am wayyyyyy humbled... feel like a moron.. sitting here.. logging in, and I cant remember how to do anything... command line linux hates me...
PROfessional Member

Postby Weaver » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:41 pm

Command line Linux can be a humbling experience. That's for sure. Comand line anything for that matter. No mouse, just you and that 100+ button beast at you tips.

Here is a little quickstart guide for you.

When you first log in you will be placed into your home directory which will be /home/username/

You can use "ls" to list the contents of directories (similar to dir). "cd" will change directories (just like in windows). Popular *nix editors are ViM and Emacs. I don't have much experience with Emacs (I was baptised with ViM) and thus use ViM.

I would not recommend using ViM at first unless you really want to struggle. Trust me, it is not like notepad. But by that same token it is much more powerful.

The editor I would recommend using if you are new to Linux is Pico. Seasoned Linux veterans may scoff, but it is very similar to notepad.

You may ask "What is there for me to do?" I had the same problem when I first started using Linux, I couldn't find anything to do. After all, it is just a console.

Well, go ahead and make a directory called "htdocs" in your home directory.

Code: Select all
username@weaver:~$ mkdir htdocs

Go into that directory.

username@weaver:~$ cd htdocs
username@weaver:~/htdocs$

Type the following at the prompt

username@weaver:~/htdocs$ echo My First Web Page > first.html

Now go to http://weaver.dwave.net/~username/first.html and you will be able to view your creation. Make sure to enter in the URL correctly, the ~username part needs to have the tilde followed by your username. Say your username was mike, the link would be http://weaver.dwave.net/~mike/first.html

Next, instead of using an echo statement to insert data into a file, you can use an editor. Edit the file first.html with your editor of choice (Probably Pico to start out with).

username@weaver:~/htdocs$ pico first.html

This will open up the file in Pico. There will be a help bar along the bottom. The carats (^) mean that you have to press Control + that button. So if you see ^X, that means Control + X will do the command. ^O is to save, ^X is to exit. Make the document your own, then save and exit and refresh the page in your browser.

I think that is enough for now.

-Weaver
Public Keys

PROfessional Member

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts