A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Anyone had an LCD monitor just die?

Anyone had an LCD monitor just die?

Postby kanaloa » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:10 pm

Woke up this morning and my LG LCD monitor was dead - tried it on another plug and still nothing, not even a buzz noise or anything.

Anyone else ever had this happen? I can't recall ever having an LCD die on me, even my oldest ones from years ago are still fine. This monitor was maybe a year and a half or two years old.

I'll have to find my paperwork, but I'm guessing it had a year warranty only. So I suppose the bright side is I can get a bigger LCD now. My laptop has a wide display, so I'm thinking of getting a similar wide screen monitor, or maybe a nice 22".
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby yeshuas » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:37 pm

I have never had a LCD die, but the good news is LG have a 3 yr limited warranty
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby yeshuas » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:38 pm

well maybe that is bad news since you want to justify getting a bigger LCD LOL

Have you tried another cord well actually both cords the one that plugs into the wall and the one that goes from the LCD to the computer. I have had bad cords before but never had a LCD just up and die.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby kanaloa » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:54 pm

Yeah I even took it downstairs and tried another cable in the wall down there. Nothing, doesn't turn on even. Normally it'll just say "No input" or something when no plugged into the PC. It doesn't even light up in the power spot. Very strange.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby yeshuas » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:59 pm

wow that is a new one. Out of 100's of LCD's I have never had one just totally die. Had them pixel their way out but never :-
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby imnuts » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:03 pm

When it's plugged in and connected to something, take a flashlight or some other bright light and shine it on the screen. Maybe the backlight just died, which I have seen before, though only on laptops.
PRO SUPREME

Postby markcynt » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:27 pm

I had an LCD monitor just die on me. I was using it and then poof! It went black and then I smelled that odor from fried electronics. It was about 4 years old and turned on nearly 24/7.

Mark
Velocity Micro A50
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 @ 3.3GHZ, 2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB, 2x320GB Stripe, Vista Ultimate SP1, XP Pro SP3, XP Pro SP3
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
PRO Level 6

Postby kanaloa » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:43 pm

imnuts wrote:When it's plugged in and connected to something, take a flashlight or some other bright light and shine it on the screen. Maybe the backlight just died, which I have seen before, though only on laptops.

Good point, but I don't think that'd stop the power light from showing up would it?

I was sleeping when this happened, so if any smoke or what not came out, it did it overnight unfortunately. The monitor was on 24/7, but usually went into sleep mode after a few hours.

I suppose it's bound to happen. I'm going to look tonight in the attic and see if I still have the original box to ship it back to LG.

I'm guessing that can take up to a month. So I'll probably just get a new one regardless - use this one as a backup or dual screen.
President

Postby ar1stotle » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:10 am

Nah I'd say that if the power light isn't even coming on, something inside has just died. Does yours have the power transformer on the cord (a brick) or is it built into the monitor? I've see a few bricks/power supplies die down here in Louisiana with some recent storms so maybe that's all you need.
PRO BRONZE

Postby Cornflake » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:48 am

Everyone has different experiences with LCDs, I guess - as for me, All but one of the LCDs I've owned have died within a year and a half :confused My 15" Dell LCD I had back in 2001 works until this day, my aunt now owns it. As for the others, I haven't had the same luck. My 19" Sony LCD died within 9 months -- I turned it on one day and it just displayed white (It would not even show messages, just lit up white). Then my new 24" widescreen Acer display with a new spiffy P-MVA panel (the one that doesn't change colors when viewing from an angle) died within 1.5 years of purchase... it simply failed to turn on at all as you described happened with your LG. And I always treat my displays with excellent care...

Anyway, it sounds like the most likely culprit causing problems with your LG is the power supply. After I got my repaired Acer monitor that I mentioned just failed to turn on one day, they included a sheet showing the faulty part was the onboard power board (It had the supply built in). It could be a variety of things, but 99% of the time it's not the panel itself that stops working but the electronics hooked up to the panel.

If LCDs lasted as long as the panels they use we'd be in good shape - they would probably last for over 5 years at least - but usually companies buy a panel from say Samsung and wire cheap electronics to it that end up breaking.
PRO Level 15

Next

Return to Hardware and Customizing