A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Anti-Virus software

Anti-Virus software

Postby mooseantlers » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:57 am

Wondering if it's time for a change?

I've been using Norton AV for the past few years and have been upgrading yearly to each new version. Except for a few installation glitches that were a pain in the neck to correct, and all the nonsense about unistalling the darn thing was nothing shot of insane.

However, unless something is wrong, this system has been virus free. Now that Norton AV 2006 is out, and i'm about ready to do my usual upgrade, i'll ask the question: Is there better software?

I read that Norton AV puts a drag on your system; as far as i'm concerned, a couple of extra seconds isn't a big deal.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.
PRO Level 4

Postby Absolute-Zero » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:08 am

mooseantlers wrote:Now that Norton AV 2006 is out, and i'm about ready to do my usual upgrade, i'll ask the question: Is there better software?
I'd appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.

There most certainly is. Ask the majority of people here at PROnet and we'll tell you that the best thing you can do is dump Norton and go for NOD32 from Eset.

It's been the top-ranking Antivirus for a number of years, now, and a lot of us here use it. There's a review of it on the site here. We scored it nine out of ten and gave it a Gold award. You can read all about it here.
PROfessional Member

Postby mnemonicj » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:07 pm

I personally used to use Norton from 2001 to 2004. I also installed it on my mother's computer, my in-laws' computer, and my sister-in-law's computer because I am their tech support. Finally Norton started annoying me with glitches and a couple of my friends had virus problems even though they had Norton installed and updated. I know they had virus problems because I cleaned their computers. I can't wait for all of the Norton licenses to expire that I put on computers so I can get it off those computers.

I worked for a small company for a month and a half and my main objective was to purchase and set up a file server, so I set up a Windows domain. This meant that I had to work with each computer in the company and they all had Computer Associates anti-virus. It worked very well, but it bugged you to no end especially after it was first installed.

Now I have Nod32 and it is what I use and recommend. After you install it, you will wonder if it is running because it is so silent. It doesn't bug you or get in the way. But, when you get a virus it finds it with multiple levels of protection. It takes up very little PC resources and does a deep scan faster than Norton.

I have personally installed Nod32 on 13 computers (including 2 servers) since I discovered Nod32 a year ago and I wouldn't use anything else.
PRO Level 15

Postby NT50 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:57 pm

NOD32 all the way.

I think I have sold well over 100 license now and not 1 complaint what so ever. Matter of fact I had a couple of customers call me at home and tell me that NOD is the best AV program they ever run and there computer has never run so good.

NOD all the way.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:36 pm

Dump NAV

For a desktop rig, the only AVs I would recommend would be NOD32 and EZ Antivirus.

NOD32 is better for computer-savvy people, EZ Antivirus is the AV of choice for a n00b ... or a client :lol: :P
PRO VETERAN

Postby Synaptic » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:45 am

I'd move over to NOD for a single user. If you want something for free (after paying Symantec for software that you arguably don't need), try AVG antivirus.
PRO Level 11

Postby NT50 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:51 pm

If need be you can get EZ Antivirus free for 1 year.
PROfessional Member

Postby Mac33 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:24 pm

I had so much trouble with Norton, and it hogged my system. Every other day there was another update from Live Update, and my start up slowed even more with Norton on my system. I moved to NOD32, and not only am i more secure, but their set up is so easy to do and check, and there's no more sluggishness on my system. I would quite simply throw Norton in the bin, as it's top heavy and a waste of time. Of all Anivirus software, NOD32 has proven to be the best. :yesnod:
PROfessional Member

Postby NT50 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:44 pm

Mac33 wrote:I had so much trouble with Norton, and it hogged my system. Every other day there was another update from Live Update, and my start up slowed even more with Norton on my system. I moved to NOD32, and not only am i more secure, but their set up is so easy to do and check, and there's no more sluggishness on my system. I would quite simply throw Norton in the bin, as it's top heavy and a waste of time. Of all Anivirus software, NOD32 has proven to be the best. :yesnod:

Nod is one of the AV program that utilizes ver LITTLE of the registery. I'm not going to tell you all the entries in the registry. Also NOD pretty much sticks to the ESET folder under Program Files. Now if you think about this...... what OS pretty much stick to its directory/folder; does very little with the registry (actually no registry). Unix/Linx/Mac.

That is why NOD just WORKS. And it does not screw up / screw around with your system like some of the other AV applications.

Plain and simple.
PROfessional Member

Postby Mac33 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:09 pm

NT50 wrote:
Mac33 wrote:I had so much trouble with Norton, and it hogged my system. Every other day there was another update from Live Update, and my start up slowed even more with Norton on my system. I moved to NOD32, and not only am i more secure, but their set up is so easy to do and check, and there's no more sluggishness on my system. I would quite simply throw Norton in the bin, as it's top heavy and a waste of time. Of all Anivirus software, NOD32 has proven to be the best. :yesnod:

Nod is one of the AV program that utilizes ver LITTLE of the registery. I'm not going to tell you all the entries in the registry. Also NOD pretty much sticks to the ESET folder under Program Files. Now if you think about this...... what OS pretty much stick to its directory/folder; does very little with the registry (actually no registry). Unix/Linx/Mac.

That is why NOD just WORKS. And it does not screw up / screw around with your system like some of the other AV applications.

Plain and simple.

That's a good point Jeff, and very true. I just have mainly the Eset folder in my program files, and i see very little elsewhere on the registry to prove that this is not top heavy. :yesnod: On the other hand, when i rid my system of Norton, as most of you know, there were entries everywhere, and i had to painstakingly go through the registry to rid my system of everything Symantec and Norton.
PROfessional Member

Next

Return to Security & Virus