A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Another dual-boot xp and Vista question

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Another dual-boot xp and Vista question

Postby atolica » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:19 pm

I have installed Windows Xp on a Silicon Image SATA Raid 0 and vista on a Seagate 250 gb SATA single drive. To boot one or the other I have to change the boot sequence from BIOS everytime. How can I dual-boot? Maybe if I install Visa on the raid will work?

In vista the partition on which Xp is installed is H:\

What boot sequence should I setup in Bios for this to work? Bootable add-in device(SATA-RAID) or Seagate 250 GB(SATA)?
Thank you!
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:52 pm

Hi atolica and welcome to PROnetworks. It's best to install Windows XP first before installing Windows Vista if that is at all possible.

Also, the hard drive boot priority should not be changed once either of the operating systems is installed as that changes what Windows sees as your System drive/partition.

For XP to be able to boot it needs boot.ini, NTDETECT.COM and ntldr to be on the System drive/partition and for Vista to be able to boot it needs the folder Boot (and contents) and bootmgr to be on the System drive partition. Your boot.ini needs to point to the correct drive/partition.

Set one of your operating systems to boot and then check in Disk Management which is your system drive/partition and copy and paste those files mentioned above which are not on the drive/partition to the root of the drive/partition. Once you have done that, install VistaBootPRO and from the Bootloader page, select "Reinstall the Vista bootloader" and click Apply. Lets see how you go with that and take it from there.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby atolica » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:11 pm

Hi
Thank you for your response.

I forgot to mention that I unplugged the raid before installing vista on the 250 gb drive.

I know what are you saying but I have some questions though:
1. What do you mean by drive/partition? Vista drive/partition(250gb SATA) or the Siimage SATA Raid drive/partition?

boot.ini, ntdetect.com, ntldr are in their right place on the root of the partition on which xp is installed (sata Siimage Raid), so no problem there.
I think I'm gonna modify boot.ini to point to the vista partition and boot the raid. What do you think?
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:53 pm

There are known issues with Vista seeing some Silicon Image RAID configurations, and I'm not sure if this is perhaps your problem.

Personally I would set the XP drive as the boot drive and then place all the required boot files for both operating systems on it. If you don't have the problem of Vista not seeing the RAID drive then it doesn't make a difference which drive you set as boot drive I guess.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby atolica » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:57 pm

Than you, I'll do that, though I don't like having vista files on my xp partition. Let's see how it works.
Isn't there some alternative to this?
No problem in vista with the Siimage Raid, works like a charm.
PRO New Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems