A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Announcing the Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program & Windows 7

Re: Announcing the Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program & Windows 7

Postby b_a88 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:07 pm

There's one question I really want to know the answer to............ What can you upgrade from? I'm asking because I'm running just the RC on my computer now, is it possible to upgrade from the RC or would I have to wipe it out and install XP on it to then install the upgrade?

I've been looking around for this answer and can't find if you can upgrade directly from the RC which is what I'm running until Win 7 is released.
PRO Level 15

Postby augie » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:14 pm

Talking about Technet, here's a way to save $100 on a subscription, valid until July 3rd.. Good for US and UK only, apparently.

I just got this e-mail from the Windows-Team, I guess everyone else got this too?

Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby augie » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:33 pm

b_a88 wrote:There's one question I really want to know the answer to............ What can you upgrade from? I'm asking because I'm running just the RC on my computer now, is it possible to upgrade from the RC or would I have to wipe it out and install XP on it to then install the upgrade?

I've been looking around for this answer and can't find if you can upgrade directly from the RC which is what I'm running until Win 7 is released.

I got this from an MVP who replied to a similar post, and he's not too sure either. Long time no see man! :wave:

Yes in essence the upgrade DVD is same as full retail justbhas a different installer route as it needs to see a previous supported OS before installing, however at this point in time I've not seen or tested any update version as the techbeta just has full. The method of upgrading had changed in Vista where you needed to have the actual previous OS already installed, pop in the upgrade disk and run it from within the GUI, gone was the route in XP where you booted to the upgrade disk and the at a prompt popped in the previous OS disk for validation (was convoluted workaround to install Vista from the upgrade disk without the need to install the previous OS)

So without being at this point 100% sure I would hazard a guess that Win7 will follow the Vista upgrade route in that previous OS be it XP or Vista is already installed, not checked if they updated the Win7 page at Microsoft yet to show all upgrade and install routes yet
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby imnuts » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:38 pm

My question with the TechNet subscription, if you get a 1-yr subscription and you don't renew it, does that mean that you're operating system(s) that you have installed from TechNet are no longer valid (ie. you should technically remove them)? If you actually own those OSes after your subscription ends, that seems like a great deal and something I may do, otherwise, I'll just get the half priced upgrade.
PRO SUPREME

Postby augie » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:41 pm

imnuts wrote:My question with the TechNet subscription, if you get a 1-yr subscription and you don't renew it, does that mean that you're operating system(s) that you have installed from TechNet are no longer valid (ie. you should technically remove them)? If you actually own those OSes after your subscription ends, that seems like a great deal and something I may do, otherwise, I'll just get the half priced upgrade.

They don't expire from what I know but Dan can confirm it. The $100 off a sub is a good deal.

Community Director

Postby yeshuas » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:02 pm

imnuts wrote:My question with the TechNet subscription, if you get a 1-yr subscription and you don't renew it, does that mean that you're operating system(s) that you have installed from TechNet are no longer valid (ie. you should technically remove them)? If you actually own those OSes after your subscription ends, that seems like a great deal and something I may do, otherwise, I'll just get the half priced upgrade.

I am pretty sure they don't expire, mine never have at any rate.

And with Technet you get more than just the access to the software, there's free training, and more, it is really a good deal and especially at $249
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby b_a88 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:24 pm

augie wrote:I got this from an MVP who replied to a similar post, and he's not too sure either. Long time no see man! :wave:

Yes in essence the upgrade DVD is same as full retail justbhas a different installer route as it needs to see a previous supported OS before installing, however at this point in time I've not seen or tested any update version as the techbeta just has full. The method of upgrading had changed in Vista where you needed to have the actual previous OS already installed, pop in the upgrade disk and run it from within the GUI, gone was the route in XP where you booted to the upgrade disk and the at a prompt popped in the previous OS disk for validation (was convoluted workaround to install Vista from the upgrade disk without the need to install the previous OS)

So without being at this point 100% sure I would hazard a guess that Win7 will follow the Vista upgrade route in that previous OS be it XP or Vista is already installed, not checked if they updated the Win7 page at Microsoft yet to show all upgrade and install routes yet

Ok, so the answer is that no one knows yet. :lol:

Good to see you again, been away for a couple months I have since I last came here. :wave:
PRO Level 15

Postby yeshuas » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:08 pm

b_a88 wrote:There's one question I really want to know the answer to............ What can you upgrade from? I'm asking because I'm running just the RC on my computer now, is it possible to upgrade from the RC or would I have to wipe it out and install XP on it to then install the upgrade?

You can't upgrade from any of the Windows 7 Beta's, and you won't be able to upgrade from XP to Windows 7 either, the only upgrade I am aware of is from Vista to Windows 7.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby b_a88 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:21 pm

yeshuas wrote:You can't upgrade from any of the Windows 7 Beta's, and you won't be able to upgrade from XP to Windows 7 either, the only upgrade I am aware of is from Vista to Windows 7.

I remember reading on the RC download page saying you could upgrade to the final version once it's released but I was expecting to have to buy a full copy to do so.

I've also seen in several places that you can upgrade from XP as well. In fact here on Microsoft's Store you can see that you can upgrade from XP http://www.microsoftstore.com/s/windows ... &WT.srch=1
PRO Level 15

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:23 pm

The license is a "perpetual" one so the keys do not expire when the subscription does. I've been using XP, and Vista and Office for some years now without renewing my subscription (TechNet and MSDN) and the keys are still good :yesnod:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Windows Support