A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

AMD Fan modded to fit Intel Heat Sink

AMD Fan modded to fit Intel Heat Sink

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:04 am

The stock Intel LGA 775 fan that came with my E6600 CPU only spins at about 1670 rpm and the idle temp has been around 48 C. I disable all CPU thermal control and Fan speed control in the BIOS because I really don't like the CPU being throttled at all. Actually I am amazed at just how many BIOS settings there are that control the CPU and Fan :eek:

I had a spare Socket AMD Socket 939 HSF lying around. The AMD fan spins at around 3185 rpm

Soo I took the plastic fan mounting that fits on the heat sink of the Intel off and cut the fan off the top of the mounting, leaving only the round housing that clips onto the heatsink.

Then I took the square plastic frame mounting of the AMD fan off and "soldered" (read burned/melted) it onto the round housing of the Intel fan.

Here's the result...an AmTel HSF :lol:

It works great and I'm very pleased with it. I was a bit worried that the 3 pin connecter of the AMD fan wouldn't be able to display both the temp and rotation speeds as the Intel fan uses a 4 pin connecter, but it works fine. The idle temps of both the CPU and motherboard have dropped by about 7 degrees C to 41 and 32 respectively :harley:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby EXTREMEoverclocker » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:38 am

haha very nice ..... never would of thought of that :) haha just would of got me a panaflo or something haha

.....How can i soar with eagles when im surrounded by turkeys.....
PRO Level 13

Return to Hardware and Customizing