A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Airflow question

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:17 am

One is supposed to aim for a bit of "positive air preasure" as far as I know - a bit more coming in than going out - but all the cases I've ever worked on are as leaky as a sieve and unless one is able to totally seal the case it's about impossible to achieve.

I think your fan setup is fine as you indicate, and to me what's important is the temps you are getting and those seem very good indeed.

By the way, the Intel stock heatsink has a great design, is copper based and intended to cool some of the peripheral chips on the motherboard too. I modified mine to take an AMD fan which is quite a lot faster and have never had temp problems...maybe it runs a bit hot for the liking of some but hey, I'm in hot old Africa.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:16 pm

Well, I'm done for now, until I get a new video card! ^*^ I added a 120 to the side panel to blow on the CPU along with the original one that blew on the peripheral area. CPU temps went down to 50C from 55C and the mobo temp went down a whopping 10C compared to with the side off to a nice 27C.

It's too bad the Antec PSU I have doesn't have a connector to hookup to the mobo but that's a minor issue. Of course the HSF and rear fan speeds are also down about 100RPM.

I am really surprised at how cool everything is compared to my old chassis, it's really amazing!

BTW, I hate those self-tapping screw for plastic fans with a vengeance! :bashhead I stripped one screw head so if that fan is coming out it'll be with extreme prejudice! :lol: Well, they're only $6 each. Thanks for all the help everybody. I'm a happy camper now.:)

PS Here's a pic of an old monitor that I used to check everything out. Anyone remember them? :P I really hated them at work! :sick

Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby yeshuas » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:49 pm

lol I had one of those many moons ago
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD