A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

After Cloning Windows Vista, I Want Them Independent Now!

After Cloning Windows Vista, I Want Them Independent Now!

Postby Troyboy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:47 pm

Hello. I have a question. I hope someone can help me here. I am using a open source program called Clonezilla Live v.1.2.2-31 on my Windows Vista OS. I have created a CD-ROM from the downloaded ISO image for Clonezilla Live and have successfully cloned my Windows Vista to the same partition on my hard drive. During the cloning process, it used the program called Partclone (v. 0.1.9) within Clonezilla. What I did is that I cloned from a local partition to another local partition on the same hard drive after a system reboot (set BIOS for DVD-ROM drive as first boot device). The hard drive is a SATA hard drive. It really doesn't matter what program I used to clone my Windows Vista operating system. I just described what I used and what I did in order to do it.

After the cloning stage, the newly cloned Windows Vista on the other partition could not boot, however all the Windows and other program file and folders were on the new partition when I checked the new partition from the original Windows Vista installation. In order to get the new cloned Windows Vista to boot, I used my Windows Vista DVD-ROM after a system reboot (set BIOS for DVD-ROM drive as first boot device) and proceeded to to fix my booting issues by repairing the boot issue on my new Windows Vista clone. The Windows Vista found that there was indeed a boot issue (Thank God it found it as an issue.) and successfully repaired the new Windows Vista so it could boot. Now, I have a dual booting system with two (2) identical Windows Vistas (the original and cloned Windows Vista) on my computer. I plan to use my purchased program DualBootPRO to control and regulate the complex booting since I have future intentions of also installing Windows 7 I just purchased. I am not going there in this posting right now about WIndows 7. I am going to hold out installing Windows 7 for now.

Now, I notice whatever I do to one of the Windows Vistas (It does matter which one.), and I reboot and log into the other Windows Vista; I get the same thing! For example: I change the background, the background is changed in the other without me changing it on the other OS. Each other act like a back-up operating system to the other -- They directly copy each off other. WOW! BUT, I DO NOT WANT THEM BOTH THE SAME. I WOULD LIKE TO SEVER OR SEPARATE THEM AT THIS POINT!!! AT THIS STAGE, I AM GOING TO INSTALL SOFTWARE ON ONE THAT I DO NOT WANT INSTALLED ON THE OTHER. How do I so they act independently? What do I need to do??? Any suggestions or solutions??? Please explain in detail or steps so I can now separate the two (2) Windows Vistas. THANK YOU!
PRO New Member

Re: After Cloning Windows Vista, I Want Them Independent Now!

Postby NT50 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:36 pm

Troyboy wrote:Now, I notice whatever I do to one of the Windows Vistas (It does matter which one.), and I reboot and log into the other Windows Vista; I get the same thing! For example: I change the background, the background is changed in the other without me changing it on the other OS. Each other act like a back-up operating system to the other -- They directly copy each off other. WOW! BUT, I DO NOT WANT THEM BOTH THE SAME. I WOULD LIKE TO SEVER OR SEPARATE THEM AT THIS POINT!!! AT THIS STAGE, I AM GOING TO INSTALL SOFTWARE ON ONE THAT I DO NOT WANT INSTALLED ON THE OTHER. How do I so they act independently? What do I need to do??? Any suggestions or solutions??? Please explain in detail or steps so I can now separate the two (2) Windows Vistas. THANK YOU!

That is a completely new one to me.Seems to me that for some reason each operating system is referencing to the same configuration files.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:00 pm

That is a weird one. Without know anything about the cloning software you used, I wonder whether you cloned from within Vista and that somehow "locked" the OS's user settings together? Maybe creating a new user account in the one can void that happening or cloning by using software that creates the clone when booted to the clone software without the OS being in use?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Troyboy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:49 pm

Hello. To reply to your latest question, Clonezilla clones while after BIOS has finished loading, but before a Windows operating system loads. It runs in the DOS-like graphics. I guess it is called n-curse script. Directions and information about the process is very detailed. It is a loaded backup and cloning package with other great features as well. Works with NTFS, but also MAC (Intel-based tech.), and Linux. Best off all it is free. Based around the Linux specs.

I am going to try other things like installing software on one of the Windows Vistas and see what happens. Also, I will mess around with the user accounts too and compare both Windows Vistas. The sharing has its benefits, but I like to have them separate now. I have different intentions with each Windows Vista.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:25 am

Thank you. It will be very interesting to know how you go :yesnod:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby NT50 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:51 am

Grav!ty wrote:It will be very interesting to know how you go :yesnod:

ditto :roleeyes
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby nosliwde » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:57 am

Figure it out? I'm getting the same with Windows 7 - used Partition Wizard to copy partition.
Ed
PRO New Member

Return to General Tech Chat