A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Adding A 3rd Monitor

Adding A 3rd Monitor

Postby rippinchikkin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:39 pm

Im looking to add a third monitor to extend my desktop further. I am using a two port video card, and running two monitors currently. Having both ports filled, I was looking at the double headed cables, and noticed that some of them state 'will only clone desktop, will not extend desktop'. Others say nothing, is there one that will extend the desktop? Anyone know what Im looking for? (trying to avoid the expensive trial and error process)
Thanks guys.
A rubber band pistol was confiscated from algebra class because it was a weapon of math disruption.
VP - Syndication

Re: Adding A 3rd Monitor

Postby gries818 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:26 pm

I think you need to install a second video card. Wait for somebody else to confirm that for sure, but I'm pretty sure that's how a guy I know from work got five setup.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Postby kanaloa » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:48 pm

I think Will is right. The splitters you're talking about only clone since they are simply dividing the output signal of that particular port (i.e.; the HDMI output on my video card would be cloned if I used a splitter). To achieve a third monitor, you'll likely need an entirely new card port for that unique signal to come from. The you'll be able to control how they are set up using your Graphics Card software. Probably wouldn't hurt to use two of the same type of card if you can, just so you don't confuse your video software drivers and/or the software that controls the displays.

I also am not 100% sure of this, but I'm almost positive you can't use a splitter to get a third unique signal/output.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby gries818 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:01 pm

kanaloa wrote:I also am not 100% sure of this, but I'm almost positive you can't use a splitter to get a third unique signal/output.

:yesnod:

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Postby rippinchikkin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:34 pm

Thought this was the case, but was HOPING for a cheap option.. dont really need the third. Kind of like I might need a third shoe...but it'd been cool. :P
A rubber band pistol was confiscated from algebra class because it was a weapon of math disruption.
VP - Syndication

Return to General Tech Chat