A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

64 bit drivers for scanners

64 bit drivers for scanners

Postby fireman604 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:03 pm

I am tri booting windows xp pro xp 64 bit and now vista 64 bit. The question is are we going to remain stuck in th dual boot mode or are manufactures going to come out with drivers. Microtek supporrt just confirmed my scanmaker 5700 is not supporrted in 64 xp or vista and is not going to be. Nikon says my cool scanIV is still being thought about they say they are thinking about it. are there any work arounds. any where to turn. thanks
PRO Level 2

Postby kd1966 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:14 pm

I have yet to get my HP Scanjet 6500C to run in anything but x86.......... I suppose that is a good question for HP though......... among other Scanner/Printer type hardware devices......
PRO PLATINUM

Postby spikey » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:58 pm

i can certianly help out regarding Nikon scanners on X64.
I have a LS-5000 and this was found not to work on Vista x64. nikon did not support 64 bit drivers.
the way round (and this is not an offial route!) is to go to
http://www.hamrick.com/
and download the software which is free. What you need to do is install the nikon scan software but don't specify that you want to install the drivers for any of the scanners it suggest. If you then installvuscan , that will inturn install drivers for a multitude of scanners , hopefully including the one you have. Go inot device driver and for the scanner that does not have a driver installed fo it, install adriver but point to the inf file that vuscan installs. hey presto, the scanner is recognised.
basically just boils down to a an inf file to fix it.
it occasionally fails in that nikon scan occasionslly loses sigh of the scanner but Idespite that I've managed to scan a large number of slides already.
i don;'t know if this works under XP X64 but I reckon the chances are good that it would.
PRO Level 3

Postby JabbaPapa » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:18 pm

It's probably cheaper in the end, to just get a top-of-the-range colour laser job designed for business not home users, because home scanners and printers almost never get upgraded to the next OS :( ... and one of the former is same price as three of the latter ... ;)

OCZ brand name springs to mind ...
PRO VETERAN

Postby Nativedude » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:06 pm

I was lucky with my Deskjet F340
Full Vista X64 drivers
PRO Level 15

Nikon Scan 4.02 with Windows XP Professional x64

Postby Alex First » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:27 pm

Hi, I faced similar problem and I'm glad someone got through.

My challenge was using Nikon Scan 4.02 with Windows XP Professional x64. I did not find any hints, unlike for Vista x64, on the Internet. I was ready to bother myself with VMWare, but (luckily?) it failed with BSOD in guest OS (Windows XP 32-bit) USB driver.

I hat no choice, so I followed the pattern proposed for Vista:

1. install a demo version of an application which incorporates 64-bit drivers for my Nikon Coolscan V ED (like SilverFast or VueScan)
2. install Nikon Scan 4 without drivers on top
3. enjoy

Unfortunately Nikon Scan 4 (non of 4.00, 4.02 or 4.03) won't install on Windows XP x64. "Nikon Scan 4 does not run on this operating system" it sais.

The solution is install Nikon Scan 4 on 32-bit OS and then just copy the software.
So adjusted pattern is:

1. install a demo version of an application which incorporates 64-bit drivers for my Nikon Coolscan V ED (e.g. download SilverFast Ai IT8 from http://www.silverfast.com/get_demo/en.html?product=447)

2. install Nikon Scan 4 on 32-bit OS und update to 4.02

3. copy folders from 32-bit Windows onto your x64
C:\Program Files\Nikon
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nikon
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nikon (it's missing on 32-bit, copy it from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nikon)
C:\WINDOWS\twain_32\Nikon

4. don't forget to ENJOY!!!

I do enjoy now because this incapability of Nikon Software was the pain in my a... for all these years. You can imagine how happy I am now :-)

Blame on Nikon software engineers who don't care of any solution while they do have 64-bit drivers (SilverFast claims to use standard drivers from Nikon) and the software itself runs on 64-bit just perfect.
PRO New Member

Return to Alpha / Beta Software